/> SLO in Arkansas: Running stuff

Saturday, August 27, 2011

Running stuff

Here is a little running update, so if you don't care at all, feel free to quit reading now:)
Anyway, my running has been interesting the past few weeks. I am currently having some shoe drama, which I hate. The last shoe I bought was apparently a wee bit too small, and has been killing my feet. As in, blood blisters and black toenails on 3 of 5 toes on my left foot. Yuck! I finally went and bought some new ones downtown for my birthday, and got a size and a half larger than those old ones hoping that would give my toes some relief. It did, thank goodness. It also gave my foot some room to move around, and now I have a HUGE blister on the bottom of my foot right on the ball where I push off with every step. My toes are healing, but now I limp even when I'm wearing flip flops:( Ugh! I went and traded those shoes in last night for the exact ones as my original pair, but in a half size down from what I just had. I ran in them this morning and my blister is killing me, but it was already there so I don't think it was the shoes. I am hoping it will heal somehow so I can move on (less painfully).

Anyway, I am progressing nicely with my distance and love the change of perspective having a marathon under your belt brings. I had 12 miles on the schedule for today. I used to fear 12 miles. Today I was like, it's not even a half marathon, it's not that far!! My new running partner and I knocked those 12 out like they were nothing. I have been working a bit on my speed lately and trying to hold a faster pace for longer distance, and it is starting to pay off:) I ran my last (and only) half marathon in 2:08 something, which averaged out to a 9:50 mile pace. I was happy with that to say the least. Well this morning I ran 12 miles (1.1 miles shy of a half) in 1:54, which averaged out to a 9:26 mile pace! Whoo hooo! I could have held it one more mile which would have given me about a 2:03 time, or 5 minutes faster than my previous time. I am really excited about that. My ultimate goal is to break 2 hours in a half, and I am getting closer:) My next half will be on October 1st, and I am getting excited to race again. It will be a hilly course though, so we will see how that factors in.

I ran 26 miles this week. Want to know what is crazy? My highest mileage week during my last marathon training was 28 miles, and that was the week I ran my 20 mile run! Every week that goes by I am more and more amazed that I even finished that marathon with my poor training for it. Yikes! Needless to say, I am feeling much stronger this time around, more confident, and have a wee bit better understanding of the distance and how to push and train my body. I am having fun too! Now if only we could trade in this heat and humidity for some awesome cool fall weather, it would be just perfect! Getting up at 4:45am to get my longer runs in on Saturday mornings is not my idea of fun, but pretty much necessary when running in August in Arkansas.

I am really looking forward to next week and the boys going back to school/mother's day out. We are in desperate need of a regular schedule, and a few hours break from each other around here these days!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home