/> SLO in Arkansas: One Year Race-aversary

Friday, August 05, 2011

One Year Race-aversary

It's my one year anniversary of racing this weekend! August 7, 2010 was my first road race last year, and I ran Hot Summer Nights (4 miles). I was so nervous for that race, and it was so tough, both physically and mentally. But I finished, and have not looked back since crossing that finish line:) I was so proud of myself for running that race, and the work I had put into losing the baby weight from the boys. That race was a turning point for me, when I finally felt alive again and remembered that being an athlete is a huge part of who I am. I am so sad that they aren't having the race again this year....I was really looking forward to racing it again and seeing how far I have come. But even without that specific race, I can see how far I have come in the past 12 months......

I gained confidence after the 4 mile race and entered several more local 5k's in the fall. Each one my time improved, and I was more and more hooked. I decided to aim high and began training for my first half marathon that fall. I finished 13.1 miles in Wynne, AR in November 2010, and knew this was only just the beginning for me:)

After slowing down a bit on the running front for December and the holidays, I was anxious to get back into my training. I bit the bullet and registered for the Little Rock Marathon in March 2011. Running that marathon was probably the hardest thing I have done. One and done??? Nope, not for me!! Crossing that finish line was huge for me, and the confidence grew, along with the desire to push even harder.

I hoped back onto my bike in the spring for some cross training and started gearing up for some real fun...triathlon!!! I completed my first sprint triathlon last week and am really looking forward to increasing my endurance and distances for the next one down the road.

As I look back over the past year I can't help but smile at the journey I have been on. I love this stuff so much (in case you can't tell)! I am much more confident in myself all the way around, am much healthier, physically, mentally and emotionally, and have had fun involving my boys in an active lifestyle. I have made some great friends along the way as well. It has been a busy year, but an amazing year. I began marathon #2 training this week as well, and am so excited to push myself even more this time around. It sure helps knowing I can do it!! I am so excited about racing this year and all the adventure it will bring. I am so thankful that God has blessed me with a physical body that is able to accomplish all the things I love, and a family that supports and encourages me to go even bigger. I am blessed beyond measure and loving every second of it!!!
Posted by Picasa

1 Comments:

Anonymous Shiann said...

I am SO proud of you! Your eyes are happier, too. I miss you and pray you continue to be well.

10:52 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home