/> SLO in Arkansas: Race Recap- The Run

Monday, August 01, 2011

Race Recap- The Run

I ran back into the transition area, changed into my running shoes, and was off again for the last leg of the race.
Transition goal time: 1:30
Transition 2 time: 47 seconds!

There weren't many chances for pictures since the run was in the woods, so this was the best we got! The run leg started across a 1/4 mile levee, and the winner was already coming back towards me as I was running out! This was a fun part since you got to pass people coming and going, and I tried to do lots of encouraging to others that were just heading out on the run as I was heading back in. I crossed the levee and headed into the woods. Oh the woods. I try to have a good attitude about trail running, but I just don't. I hate it. A lot. Mostly because I have had two knee surgeries, and have pretty bad ankles from years of being banged up in soccer, and picking my way over rocks and tree roots up and down narrow little dirt trails is not my idea of fun, and my body doesn't like it! Anyway, I knew it was a trail so I made the most of it. I just ran along and mostly tried not to fall. My legs felt like jello and the terrain was rough and uneven. I girl right behind me crashed hard right at the end. Yikes!

I didn't have my Garmin on so I had no clue how far I had gone. Thankfully there was a random 1 mile marker in the woods. At that point I was tired, but knew there was only a mile left of the race, so I chugged along. The trail was so narrow there was no room to pass anyone either, so I had someone right on my back the whole way. We finally got back to the cleared part to come back across the levee and she said, "thanks for pacing me!!" and took off. I finished strong and felt good at the end. I couldn't believe it was already over!! They handed me a ice cold wet towel and a powerade and off I went to find my family.

My run time was about what I thought for the trail part.
Goal run time: 20 minutes
Official run time: 20:40 (10:20 pace)

Not the best for me, but for a trail, that was all I could hope for!!

Overall finishing goal time: 1 hour 15 minutes
Official finishing time: 1 hour 14 minutes 22 seconds! I rock:)

This was a group shot of all the women who participated from Jonesboro. There were several others who didn't make it in the shot I think. We had fun together!! So there is my race breakdown. I will post again later with my thoughts on the race now that I have had some time to process it all.

oh yeah. I finished 8th out of 26 women in my age group! I was aiming for top 10, and I got it!! Man I love this sport:)
Posted by Picasa

4 Comments:

Blogger Tom and Nancy said...

Congratulations, Lauren! I love how you set your goals and attain them. You are a brave woman!
~Nancy~

3:52 PM  
Blogger Lauren said...

Thanks Nancy!! I am having so much fun:)

4:17 PM  
Blogger Caroline Mosey said...

Congrats! You're awesome and I loved reading through these posts of your tri. Love you!

6:44 AM  
Anonymous Whitney said...

Thank you so much for posting this! I just signed up for this year's race as my first tri and am so happy I was able to read someone's race recap. :)

12:29 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home