/> SLO in Arkansas: All In....Ironman Style

Saturday, February 18, 2012

All In....Ironman Style

I went all in yesterday, finally pulling the trigger and registering for my first 70.3 half ironman. I will be completing the Memorial Hermann Ironman Texas on April 1st in Galveston, TX. Lord willing!



I met a man last week down at my local bike shop and we started chatting about my mental weirdness over my swim issues. Turns out he happens to be a swimmer. Like went to college on a swimming scholarship. Like has completed 9 FULL IRONMAN events, including going to Kona. Wow! He gave me a few swimming tips and then casually throws out an offer to swim with me and see if he can fix my stroke, or at least my head.






I had such a bad experience with my first and only "swim lesson" that I was pretty hesitant to try again. But I didn't want to be a quitter, so I called him up and scheduled a 5am swim meet-up with this random guy. Best. decision. ever! I was nervous just to be in the water with such a great athlete, but figured he could at least tell me I had no chance, or give me a little of my confidence back. He was so encouraging and patient and nice:) He watched me swim one lap, told me to do one thing differently, and fixed like 90% of what I had been doing wrong. It was amazing:) We swam for about an hour or so together, and he would just watch me off and on and tweak things here and there. I left the pool and came home and announced to Silas when I walked through the door...."We are going to Texas!"


I am super excited and a tad overwhelmed to say the least. This is such a big event, and that in and of itself makes me that much more nervous! It is a qualifying race for Kona, and in addition, it was just announced that Lance Armstrong is also registered to race, so that will draw a bigger crowd. Definitely a change from the all female little super sprint tri I raced last summer. Of course my first and only objective for this race is to actually finish. I am just getting my feet wet with this endurance training and I have to start somewhere. I have some time goals in mind, but overall I just want to get out of the water alive, try not to get a flat tire, and still be able to run well at the end and cross the finish line. Then I will be an Ironman, or at least half of one!!! 6 more weeks until I will be toeing the line of the biggest athletic event of my life so far.....I am pumped!

1 Comments:

Blogger Tia said...

How exciting!! Half Ironman?!! I can't wait to see how your training goes. Sounds like you definitely found the right guy to help get you started. 9 Ironman's?!! That's pretty awesome!

7:17 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home