/> SLO in Arkansas: BRICK #1

Saturday, January 28, 2012

BRICK #1

I completed my first BRICK workout of my triathlon training this morning, and it went well:) I have done a few shorter BRICKS so I was a little nervous about this longer one. I was interested to see how my legs would feel after some time on my bike, since my only pace gauge at this point is on fresh legs. I typically run about a 9:30 pace for my runs of 8-12 miles which is where I can hold a conversation with my running buddy. I didn't really have any idea what to expect for my run pace, so we will see if today is a good average or not.

I got on my bike at 6:25am and began the lovely task of riding indoors for an hour and a half. It can get boring, but I have found that using my ipod makes all the difference in the world. I will randomly become aware that I am belting out songs while huffing and puffing:) I am sure my kids think I am crazy....pedaling away and sweating and singing at the top of my lungs in the basement on Saturday mornings:) I found myself watching the Food channel as well, which didn't help as it was all Super Bowl foods and it made me very hungry!! Anyway, the ride went by relatively quickly, and is by far the longest time I have ever spent on my trainer. You get a much better workout on the trainer since you never stop to coast or quit pedaling, so it was more like a 2 hour ride out on the road (according to the guys at my local bike shop). A quick change of clothes and into my running shoes and I was out the door for my run.

Now my plan called for a 15 minute run just to get my legs used to the transition from bike to run, but really, who wants to get all dressed up just to run for 15 minutes?!! Not me, so I figured I would head out on my normal 4 mile loop. Unfortunately I was a bit under dressed as it was 36 degrees with a 17 MPH sustained wind and 24 MPH gusts. It was cold!!! I hit my first mile at 8:34 and decided to just try and hold that the whole way. My legs shook out pretty fast and it didn't feel too hard of an effort. I finished strong and mile 4 was a 8:24. At that point I felt like I was just warming up too:) It was not nearly as tough a workout as I thought it would be, but my legs are tired from it. The hardest part of tri training is finding a pace you can hold comfortably in each discipline, while saving your legs, energy, etc for the next discipline. And fueling appropriately. I am working on figuring all these finer details out along the way.

I have an official private swim lesson scheduled after church tomorrow afternoon!! I am excited to learn some new techniques that will help me swim more efficiently, but I really hate being critiqued!!! Should be interesting, and hopefully my legs won't feel like lead weights in the pool tomorrow:) Week #7 of training is in the books!!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home