/> SLO in Arkansas: The Devil is in the Details

Friday, July 29, 2011

The Devil is in the Details

The Annie Oakley Sprint Triathlon is at 7am in the morning, and I am so excited!! And pretty nervous, but mostly excited! We are waking up early, as in 3:30am early, to head over to Memphis at 4am. We plan to be there between 5 and 530am so I can pick up my race packet, get my body markings, set up my transition areas, and hit the water by 7. I know I won't sleep too much tonight, and am hoping the kids are cheerful and cooperative at 4am:) So I have been packing and preparing for this tri all week, thus the devil is in the details. You basically pack everything but the kitchen sink for a tri, and a sink might come in handy at some point even then:) For the swim I have the basics, goggles, swim cap and my ironman watch which I plan to wear through the whole race to keep track of my overall time. I will have my tri shorts and shirt on for the whole race, so no major wardrobe changes thank goodness.

The bike stuff looks a little light, but that is because most of it will be packed on my bike before hand. I also have my pump, bike itself, water bottles, GU chomps, chapstick, etc which will go on the ride portion with me. Well not the pump, but you get the picture!

Finally the run. I will just trade my helmet for my visor, switch out my shoes, strap my race belt/number on and off I go. Easy breezy right?! I hope so:) The run portion is short, but it is also a trail, which we all know I hate, so it should be interesting. Hopefully it's not too rugged, and I think part of it is shady, which should be nice. The heat will be bad, but I should be finished by 8:15am if all goes according to plan, so not too bad.

Here is a picture of more of the gear. I also have towels to dry my feet off with, extra clothes to change into, bike pump, spare goggles and watch, and on and on! Plus, being an athlete who is also a mom, means we can't forget to pack for the boys either!! Snacks, diapers, sunscreen, juice cups, backpack, spare clothes, and on and on as well:) We pretty much have the packing thing down to a T around here, so no worries.

I had a great 5 mile run on Monday evening, and then a mini tri later in the week. I swam 1,100 yards in the morning, then met up with friends and rode 6 hilly miles on the bike, and changed shoes and went straight into a 1.58 mile run. I felt strong and good, which really helped the confidence. I also happened to run the almost 1.6 miles at a 8:58 minute pace, which didn't hurt my feelings either! Tomorrow by the time most of you wake up, I will be a triathlete!!
Posted by Picasa

2 Comments:

Blogger Shiann Metheny said...

Lauren, I am so proud of you. In awe, actually. Hope all goes well!

1:17 PM  
Blogger Lauren said...

Thanks Shiann!!! I am having so much fun:)

6:59 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home