/> SLO in Arkansas: Little Rock 10k

Wednesday, March 07, 2012

Little Rock 10k

 I ran the 10k in Little Rock this past weekend.  As usual, it was a great race and well organized event.  I have never run a 10k before so I didn't know what to expect! 
 We headed to LR Saturday around lunch and hit the expo for packet pick-up and a little shopping:)
 We headed inside the Peabody Hotel so the boys could see the ducks, and take our usual ride up the big glass elevator.  The boys were so excited to be staying in a hotel!!  They ran and jumped on the beds and were crazy wild.  Luckily it wore them out and they both slept the entire night, thank goodness!
 My rockstar supporter and best friend!  I love this guy so much and the fact that he gets me where I need to be, makes sure I have the best gear, and cheers me on while running around the city lugging the boys and taking pictures!  He is awesome and I couldn't do any of this without him:)
 Race morning was perfect.  41 degrees and a beautiful sunny day.
 
 I had no plans to race this race since I am getting close to the end of my half ironman training.  I just wanted to enjoy the run, take in the sights and have fun getting a workout in:)
 Thank goodness I didn't want to race!  It was way too crowded for me to run fast and I did a ton of weaving just to stay moving.  My time was not great at all as a result, but you just can't run with thousands of people around you!  My first mile was a 9:50 and it totally killed my whole race, but there was nothing I could do...too many people.  The 10k finally broke off from the marathon and half marathon around mile 5 and I finally got to really run.  I think my last mile was a 7:52.  It felt good to finally be moving:)
 Silas caught me about a 1/2 mile from the finish line here for pictures.  It was so fun to see him and the boys:)
 My official time was a 53:46 or something close (I forget!).  Not nearly representative of what I know I can run, but that is what I get for running a huge race and starting in the back!  The funny part is that I managed to finish 4th in my age group out of 129 women, like 23 out of 676 total women overall, and 58th out of all the men a women.  Not bad for not really racing:)
 The best part is that it was short and sweet, I had my family with me, I had fun, and it was a beautiful day to run.  I had lots of friends running the half and full marathons and it seems that it was a perfect day for almost everyone....they all did amazing and I am so proud of all the individual victories:)  I am constantly thankful for the blessing of being healthy and able bodied and the gift to run and do what I love.  God has truly blessed me and I am loving every step of this adventure.
Posted by Picasa

2 Comments:

Blogger Tia said...

Great job on your first 10K!! You still set a PR! ;-) Like you said, it is hard to race well when you get off to a slow start like that. I've been reading that getting the right corral placement is so important in racing. I have definitely ran my share of races stuck in the wrong place behind the starting line!

Anyway- hope the rest of your training goes well!! Excited for ya!

8:44 PM  
Blogger Caroline Mosey said...

I hear ya. The Indy half has 35,000 runners, so you basically trot in a herd the first 3 miles! I'm proud of you and you look like you're having fun:) Love u!

5:54 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home