/> SLO in Arkansas: Road Rash and Battle of the Bulge

Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Road Rash and Battle of the Bulge

I finally broke down and bought some bike shoes so I can clip in to my bike and not worry about my feet slipping off the pedals like they do with my tennis shoes. I got them on Thursday afternoon and tried clipping in and out with them one time on Friday after Silas changed my pedals out. I practiced on the trainer in the house, and it seemed ok. Then I was invited to go on a 20 mile ride on Saturday after lunch, which became my debut of trying the shoes/pedals out on the road. Yikes!! I rode with a group of 7, and I only knew 2 of the people there. The shoes did awesome and it all went great until we decided to stop for ice cream.....yes, I surround myself with fellow athletes who like me, exercise so we can eat whatever we want!! We made it to the parking lot and I forgot my feet were stuck to my bike when I went to stop, and I just tipped over right there in the parking lot. It was pretty funny, and it didn't hurt too bad. I am glad I fell, so now I know what it feels like, and will hopefully remember to clip out a little sooner next time. Just a little road rash from the fall, no big deal.

Here is my cool new tri outfit for my race in July. Cute huh!? The only problem with it is that it is all spandex, and very tight! Thus the battle of the bulge. You definitely can't hide anything in this little number, so the battle is on to have as little bulge as possible come race time:) I am not thinking my nightly snack of Oreos and milk will be able to last much longer on this plan. I am pretty mortified wearing this, but Silas and my friends all assure me I won't stand out since everyone else will be wearing spandex suits as well. I am really hoping my appetite goes down a bit as it warms up, so maybe I won't want to eat so much all the time!

Just a close up shot of my bike shoes. Silas picked them out for me. I would usually think white shoes are pretty dorky, but they look pretty cool with my bike:) I feel pretty fierce in them too:)

Not that they ever look towards the camera, but I couldn't resist adding little Jace to the mix:) Anyway, everything is going well and I feel good about my training and progress so far. I am proud, and very surprised, with my speed so far, and feel like I already have a great endurance base built up. So for now I am working on more speed, a little bit of technique, and arming myself with as much information as I can about how to train smart and effectively for a multi-sport event. Next step is to join a gym and begin my swim training, which should hopefully happen in the next few weeks. I may throw in a little weight training as well. My next 5k races are in mid-May, and then I plan to run on a marathon relay team May 28th here in town. I am having a great time and love all the competition of racing:) I was definitely made for this!
Posted by Picasa

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home