/> SLO in Arkansas: Spring Has Sprung!

Monday, March 21, 2011

Spring Has Sprung!

I LOVE LOVE LOVE this time of year:) Sunshine makes me happy:) We are having plenty of it lately too, which is awesome. We are sitting in the mid 60's-70's most days and it is divine weather for sure. Silas and I are not big do-it-yourselfer's inside the house, but we love us some good yard work and outdoor projects. When we bought this house a little over a year ago we inherited over 13 years of neglect in the overgrown and wild yard. Fun! Last spring I would literally start crying when I even walked into the backyard because it was such a mess and out of control I would get overwhelmed and not even know where to start. Silas has prodded me along this past year and we have slowly been working on small sections over time to start trying to even find the ground!
I am happy to say the hard work is finally paying off. We found the ground recently and I like it! We have tons of trees out back, so raking is a must. We have raked leaves all year and are finally able to see the layout of the yard and begin to redefine some of the space out there, and actually make it useable again. If you know Silas at all, the first thing we do is build a fire pit. We love fire and must have a nice place for it:) There was actually a small dogwood that used to be right where the firepit now is, but it never bloomed and was pretty tiny, so we took it out last fall. Of course this is just the beginning of getting the area like we want it, but it is such a HUGE improvement from what was there and we are so excited. We have dumped all the leaves we rake in a gigantic pile in the back of the yard. Silas is going to built a compost bin for me and we can keep everything a bit more contained back there once that gets finished. Of course we continue to battle the bamboo forrest, but that is just an on-going thing, so its no big deal. Now that we have the actual yard cleared and raked, we are starting to define the areas and will get new edges, rock, railroad ties, etc to replace all the rotten ones we had to dig up.
We are also tackling the actual landscaping on the sides and front of the house too. It's awful to say the least! The existing plants are ones that do not thrive in the areas they are planted, and haven't been trimmed for a decade it seems. Poor things! We are working to pull everything out and start from scratch, as Silas thinks most are not able to be saved. The yard is a huge project and one we will work on for years I am sure. Luckily we love this kind of work, and it is something the whole family enjoys doing since we can be outside. The boys love to dig in the dirt and drive their trucks and tractors around, or swing, while we do the grunt work. I am very excited at the transformation so far, and I know we have only just begun:) I may even have grass in my backyard this year or next!! The front yard is greening up and I am ready to pull the mower out soon. Spring is definitely here!
Posted by Picasa

1 Comments:

Blogger Caroline Mosey said...

I'm so jealous! We still have a few weeks to go:( Yard is going to look great!!!

7:09 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home