/> SLO in Arkansas: HMG 5k Race Recap

Sunday, April 17, 2011

HMG 5k Race Recap

I may be pushing my luck with this post since I finally got some pictures up, but here goes! I ran my first 5k of the year yesterday morning and it went great:) I had decided not to run the 1/2 marathon, and on race morning I was super glad I made that decision. It was cold and WINDY! Not great for running at all. I was one of the few people in shorts and short sleeves:) Anyway, the race went out fast as usual but it felt slow due to fighting the crowds and the wind, which never seemed to be at your back. I knew I was good when I hit mile 1 in a record pace of 7:50! Now to hang on. I managed to hang on for mile 2 but mile 3 had hills, lots of wind, and the finish line was all uphill with the wind in your face. I felt like I was barely moving. I tried to get in under 26 minutes but official time was 26:01. Average pace of 8:24 I believe.
Even though I know I can run faster than that, I was very pleased overall. I even walked away with 2nd place in my age group and a trophy! It was my first time to place in the top 3, and I was so excited:) I ended up being the 11th female finisher overall, and finished 54th overall (men and women) out of 286. I can't believe I almost made it to the top 10 women finishers! I guess that will be my next goal. I run this coming weekend again, and hope to set a new PR.
This is me and the guy that works at the shop next door to Silas. He has run several of the same races I have:)
Showing off my 2nd place award...it's a nice etched glass mug. I love starting off my short distance season with a Personal Record for the 5k and have high hopes of setting some new ones in the next few months! Next race goal....break 25:30.
Posted by Picasa

1 Comments:

Blogger Caroline Mosey said...

Awesome! You are fast like the wind!!!

7:07 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home