/> SLO in Arkansas: Marathon Prep

Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Marathon Prep

I run a marathon in 11 days. I got my email confirmation today which is my official way to pick up my race packet at the Expo before the race. This is getting real y'all! I am excited, jittery, and ready to run. I know that I have trained for this physically and that I am capable of running the distance. I hear a lot of things about people going in mentally unprepared though, and being defeated in their minds during the race. I have been trying to come up with ways to do some mental preparation, but I have come to realize I already do a lot of what people suggest. I have been an athlete my entire life and competed in many events. I know how to make my mind tough. I already do it on all my long runs anyway, I just never really thought about what I was doing.

Lots of people suggest having a mantra to repeat when you feel bad to help give you a boost. Luckily I already have several that I use, so I don't even have to come up with one! The last few long runs I have had to keep telling myself "Trust your training, trust your body, trust your running." This helps me in the last few miles when I am increasing my mileage and nagging thoughts of doubt try to tell me I can't go any further. I also tell myself "Run harder, run stronger, run faster." That is just a good one for anytime during a run:) Every time I run up a hill, whether long or just short and steep I tell myself this is "money in the bank." I got that one from Silas. Even when the hills get tough I push hard up them and picture myself passing all the people who have slowed down or are walking the hills. I sure hope this works!! The last one I got from my younger sister and have loved! I just sing it to myself over and over in the middle of the run or whenever I take my ipod off and have time for more thinking. It's a little diddy that goes "Ain't nothin' gonna break my stride. Ain't nothin' gonna slow me down, oh no, I've got to keep on movin!" I always grin when I sing this to myself, and try to make it more fun by singing it with lots of attitude:) I also try to smile to keep myself relaxed when I am running. And to remind myself to have fun.

So there you have it. My little running mantras that get me where I am going. I get a little anxious about the race at times, but for the most part I have been SO busy the past few weeks that I don't have a lot of time to stress about it! I will take that as a good thing. I ran without my Garmin this week too. Since I am cutting back to 4 mile runs during the week, I just want to relax and run easy. I don't care about my pace or where the miles are. I know the route well and just want to enjoy the run. Hopefully this will help keep me relaxed through next week!

1 Comments:

Blogger Caroline Mosey said...

I'll try not be embarrassed about my little song! :) But it really helps! That's funny you sing it too now:) You've got this, Bar! No time for doubts...can't wait to see pics of you with your medal! xoxoxo

11:21 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home