/> SLO in Arkansas: Race Week

Monday, February 28, 2011

Race Week

And I am freaking out just a bit! I really am trying to be calm about this, but nerves are getting me right now. I feel like I am nesting the way I am cleaning my house today too....apparently it helps me get rid of some of the nervous energy to scrub things! Anyway, the plan for this week is to survive mainly. Somehow life has decided to throw a freakishly busy schedule at me this week work wise, and I have more hours scheduled to work than I have since Jace was born! Yikes. We are also having some crazy weather so I have no clue what race day will look like. I have been training in 30-40 degree temps mostly and yesterday it was in the 70's and very humid. We have been having major thunderstorms and lots of wind. Plus we had an earthquake last night! I have no idea what outfit I will go with so lots of things are still up in the air.

My plan for this week is to take it one day at a time. I am also trying to drink a lot more water than usual to stay good and hydrated, but that isn't so easy for me to remember. My goal is to get in bed every night by 10pm, but we will see what happens with my crazy work week and all. I am really hoping to not get to the weekend frazzled and exhausted, but that may be the case. Nothing a little 26 mile run can't work out though:)

Race Goals:
1) Finish (and not in an ambulance)
2) Finish in 5 hours or less
3) Finish in a rock the socks off time which I will keep to myself until after the race!

I am so stinking competitive, even with myself, that it is hard for me to not set big goals for myself. I am fully aware that a first marathon is just for finishing. period. But I don't know how to not push myself. I have been doing a terrible job of doing "easy" runs here the past few weeks too. My goal race pace for this race is around 10:45 miles, and very rarely do I ever run that slow! The weather will be a major factor for me though. I am just not used to the heat and humidity yet, so if its hot or raining, there goes the plan. I ran a very hilly 3.25 miles yesterday and killed it. I own those hills! They sure take a lot out of you though. The weather changes are keeping my knee aching (my bad knee from surgery) which I don't like, but other than that I feel pretty good physically. Mentally I am all over the place, but I am working on that! I am SO ready for this thing to be over with. Counting the days until I can sigh a big sigh of relief:)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home