/> SLO in Arkansas: 5 Years

Monday, May 04, 2009

5 Years

I got to thinking today and realized that I have been working at my job for 5 years this month! Wow. It sure doesn't feel like it has been that long already. I remember graduating from grad school in 2004 and being so excited about getting a "real job." One that would help me pay back all those student loans!!! I never even imagined I would still be there 5 years later. I have definitely complained a lot along the way, but I have to say, this has been one of the best jobs ever for me. I make my own schedule every week, have tons of flexibility, and make good money doing something I enjoy. Sometimes I get bogged down in the office politics, but I sure do have a lot to be grateful for. It is even kind of crazy knowing that we moved an hour and a half away from Searcy, and I am still working for the same company:) It's fabulous! I have been doing contract work part time since Tyson was born and it has been great being able to be at home all day with him and get a few hours of work in the afternoons once Silas gets home. It is a schedule I am hoping to continue once the new little one gets here as well, assuming we can work around feeding schedules:) I love being at home with Tyson, but it feels so good to get dressed, go out and use my brain for a few hours, and then come back home to relax too. I am just like Hannah Montana....I get the best of both worlds:) It is not always easy to balance work and home, since I work a lot from home and can't really separate them, but it's working so far and I am working on being more appreciative of this wonderful opportunity that I have. For any of you that don't know, I am doing therapy with kids and families part-time (about 10-15 hours per week), and also do adoption home studies on a contract basis. These are great, but have been really slow this year since I moved out of the main area I was getting the referrals from. I am also contemplating adding in a couple of hours counseling at our church, which has a private Christian counseling center. Not sure if that will pan out or not, but it would be a nice change from what I usually do:)

Before Tyson was born I could not wait to quit working full time and just have a break from "having" to be somewhere. But go figure...I missed working and have really appreciated the balance it brings to my life. I think the majority of that comes from choosing a profession that fits me well, and having a job that is rewarding and is not just a job. Really this post is more of a pep talk for myself to remind myself how blessed I am, and how thankful I am that God provided me a job that has withstood so many changes over the years:) Now if you will excuse me, I believe I have some paperwork that I haven't finished yet!!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree we are both very blessed to work where we do!! Hope you are feeling good. I love the name Jace. So perfect. Love ya, K.

7:32 AM  
Blogger Hattie said...

That is a great post. We all need to stop and be thankful for the gifts and opportunities that God has given us. Thank you for the reminder.

5:01 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home