/> SLO in Arkansas: Weekly Training Recap

Saturday, June 11, 2011

Weekly Training Recap

These pictures have nothing to do with the post. Just more pics from our Texas adventure:) This has been one of my better weeks of training and I feel like I am getting somewhere! I ended the week with only 8.5 miles of running, which is really low, but I was happy with the 3 workouts I did get in. I ran a nice easy 4 miler on Monday, and then hit the track on Tuesday evening for my first ever speed workout. It was about 96 degrees and I had just eaten a huge dinner (bacon, eggs, and pancakes!) so I wasn't going all out to say the least:) I did manage to get a good 1.5 miles in, with 3 quality 400's. I just needed a baseline time for my 400's so I know a time to improve on. It was fun too. The whole family went, and I ran my first warm-up 400 with Tyson:) The little guy ran the whole lap with me and did great. The boys had fun running around the track and "racing." Tyson kept asking where the speakers and finish line timer were! I ran 3 miles on Wednesday evening, following my bike ride, which made it pretty tough. It was a faster average pace than usual on my runs during the week, so I was really happy with that. At this point I am still adjusting to the heat and humidity, which have been really high lately.


I have had a great week biking. I rode 17.7 miles on Wednesday with a group of girls and then went 22.7 miles this morning with one other girl, for a total of over 40 miles out on the road this week. I also rode 30 minutes on the trainer last night, so I got 3 good bike rides in for the week. I am feeling much more comfortable on the bike, getting a good feel for where my gears need to be to do what I want them to do, and for clipping in and out. No more falling since that first time, thank goodness! My average pace has not been as high as I would like for my rides outside, but we do lots of crossing intersections and turning down streets, crossing train tracks, etc that I know really slows us down. I am sure I will be pleasantly surprised at what pace I can hold when it comes time to race:) That is the plan anyway:) One thing I have learned with riding with others is that my soccer legs are very useful tools when it comes to powering up hills on the bike. I have been very happy with my ability to get up the hills at a good pace, which I know will be huge during the tri.


I haven't had a full official swim workout yet, but I have finally gotten in the water and am ready to go! We took the boys swimming at the neighbors house this afternoon, and I got some good time in treading water and really tried to focus on using mostly my arms to keep me up. My neighbor also happens to be an awesome swimmer, so he gave me some good coaching and tips, and we practiced a bit on my form. He said I have a good powerful stroke, but lift my head to high out of the water for my breaths, so I need to work on that. I also only breathe on one side, so I have to practice both side:s) I got some good advice and some good things to practice when I start my official lap training next week. We finally joined the Y, so no more excuses on not getting my swims in.


Speaking of swims, Silas has been going and doing great! He got up early twice this past week and rode his bike to the Y, swam laps, and rode home. He loved it. I am really proud of him and think it is something he really enjoys. Since I do most of my running and biking in the day or evenings, that leaves early mornings to swim. The Y opens at 6 am during the week, so that is when we have to go in order to be back for Silas to get to work in the mornings. We are working out our schedules so we can both get at least 2 swims in each week and take turns. I will tell ya, it is tough to focus on 3 sports all at the same time! Luckily I feel great on the bike and run, so swimming will be my focus for a bit. I have been able to do two brick workouts, where you do two events back to back. I have been able to bike and then run twice. It is definitely exhausting, but I usually run better than I think I will after riding. I am having fun and enjoying incorporating other sports into my training for the summer. Swimming and biking are a bit more fun to do in the heat than just straight running! Only 7 weeks til the tri:) I will be ready!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home