/> SLO in Arkansas: Survival of the Fittest

Saturday, June 25, 2011

Survival of the Fittest

I had to put a picture on here of me all cleaned up, since the one below is of me all nasty after my 40 mile bike ride last weekend:) Ok, I feel better. Anyway, I LOVE LOVE LOVE my bike. It is so much fun to ride, and I have to admit I just love the speed of it. I think I might be pretty good at riding too, which helps. I did my first 40 mile ride last Saturday morning with two of my friends, and we had a ball. About 25 miles in one of them got a flat tire, so I got to experience my first changing a flat out on a ride. Mostly I just stood around a watched. I called Silas for back up, and he brought us cold Gatorade and helped get things pumped back up once we got the new tube on. It was fun! We were all super impressed that 3 girls got that flat changed:) I am glad I saw how it was done, so I will be more confident if it is me next time!

I went out for 20 miles this morning and it felt great. 20 miles is just a nice easy ride for me and I can tell the more times I do it the stronger I feel. I have also learned that I like hills quite a bit, and can get up them pretty fast. These soccer legs are turning out to be quite helpful in many different ways!! I have my running to thank for my endurance base too. I named this post survival of the fittest because of a little incident we had on our ride this morning. We came to an intersection in a neighborhood (rural area) and I was keeping my eyes peeled for a dog that had tried to eat me for lunch once before when I had last come this way. Well sure enough, I heard furious barking, but not from the yard I was watching! I turned and right across the street were two large dogs charging our way. And when I say dogs, I mean they were two Dobermans with ears back and snarling as they raced towards us. Thankfully the adrenaline kicked in and I pedaled like nobodies business! I was NOT going to be the first person they got to, that was for sure:) Luckily they didn't get either of us, but my heart pounded for a while after that. I am really not a fan of dogs, especially man eating ones that aren't tied up or in a fence. Mental note to skip that route next time we ride:)

Anyway, I have been having fun with my training. I am just tired! The heat today wore me out for sure. I did some yard work with Silas after lunch and am trying to just spend some time outside to help acclimate to the heat when I can. Thankfully a little nap and a cold Coke perked me right up:)
Posted by Picasa

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home