/> SLO in Arkansas: My first BRICK

Friday, June 24, 2011

My first BRICK

I did my first official BRICK workout earlier this week and it was AMAZING!! So we are all on the same page, a brick is a back to back workout in triathlon training. As in, I rode my bike and then went straight into my run. Apparently it is named a brick, because that is how your legs feel when you start running after riding:)

Anyway, I have been riding and then running for the past few weeks, but there is usually about a 20-45 minute time gap between them while I am waiting for my running buddy to be ready to go. Usually that is just enough time for me to cool down completely and my legs to get stiff before we head out to run:) At least it gives me a little break/rest though. Well this week I decided to just head out and get at least a mile in while I was waiting for her to call. I rode 19.1 miles in about an hour and 22 minutes (14 mph average), ran inside, threw off my helmet and gloves, put on my running shoes and garmin and headed back out the door. My garmin took forever to find the signal, so I had to run 2/3 of my mile without it. I felt pretty good starting out, and while my legs felt a little strange, it didn't take me long to find my running groove. And groove I did! I finished my mile in about 8:06 minutes. I really thought I would be slower than usual, but I felt good:) I walked home and my friend was ready to go, so off we went for another 2 miles. We slowed the pace waaaay down to 10:30 minute miles, but it felt fine. I actually felt amazing and could have run a lot longer, but I have read enough to know you are not supposed to over-do on your brick workouts. Just run 20-30 minutes to get used to the feeling of transitioning from the bike to the run. I felt great the next day, not sore or anything, which I was happy about.

I think that workout was a huge turning point for me mentally. I know without a doubt that I can do this! And now I am thinking I might actually do it pretty well too:) Icing on the cake:) I rested yesterday and then swam this morning. Every swim gets better as I am constantly improving something. I got some good goggles which helps, and a friend gave me a swim cap. I can tell my endurance is improving, but I still think I am swimming too fast/hard. I am very thankful I still have several weeks to train, because I need all the time in the water I can get. I am having fun with my training and actually looking forward to all my workouts. That has been the best part of tri training....you get to do so many activities you don't get bored with just one! Next up, another 40 mile bike ride:) Not sure if I have mentioned it, but I LOVE MY BIKE!! I will do a whole other post on that later:)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home