/> SLO in Arkansas: Getting close

Friday, October 22, 2010

Getting close

I run the half marathon two weeks from tomorrow! I think I should be getting excited, but really I am just getting nervous it seems:) My training runs are at their hardest and longest this week and next week. I just completed my 9 mile run yesterday morning, and it felt awesome to do! Even better was that we managed to maintain a 10:20 minute pace the entire way. I think it was actually faster than that, but we stopped at least twice for water and refueling so we lost a little time there. I think we should be right on track to hit about 10 minute miles for the race. I only have one more long run, the 10 miler, before actual race day. 6 more runs total before the big day. That seems so short to me! I don't know why I get so nervous about it. Silas says it is just "my process." I know I will love it once it is over.

Speaking of being over, I have been focusing so much on this half marathon that I haven't thought too much about what I am going to do once it is over. I guess I need to decide since I only have two more weeks for this event. I am scared to say it out loud, but I am seriously contemplating a full marathon in the spring. Yikes!!! If I have already made it half way through the training, I might as well keep going, right?? I guess the biggest determining factors will be 1) how the half goes, and 2) how my breathing does once it actually gets cold. Right now I am contemplating the Little Rock Marathon which I believe is in March. That means the bulk of the running will be through the winter, and me and my asthma just do not like cold weather much at all. I guess I will just see how it goes and take it one run at a time. If I do commit to the full, then I guess 5k's are out for a few more months. I think I should be fine to run the full (assuming I don't hurt myself!!), to still be on track for my triathlon stuff. I can get back into some shorter distances and speed work after the spring, and be ready to compete by early summer. I am hoping to complete at least two sprint triathlons next summer. Once again, we will see how it all goes!
So far I am feeling great and healthy. I have stuck to my training plan almost perfectly and feel that I am adequately prepared to run. The biggest decisions left are picking out my outfit for race day and figuring out just how I want to fuel during the race. Pretty sure I will be using Gu and sports beans, but not sure how many miles apart yet. I am thinking maybe every 4-5 miles right now will be good and get me through with plenty of energy. I did not plan properly for my 9 mile run as I decided about 15 minutes prior that I would be running that far, and I definitely felt my energy tank about mile 7. All I had was water and about 7 sports beans, which was definitely not enough to sustain an hour and a half run! I am really hoping this warmer weather holds a few more weeks until the race too, since that is what I am used to running in. As long as no Arctic cold fronts move through, I should be fine!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home