/> SLO in Arkansas: 26 Days

Sunday, November 06, 2011

26 Days

Yep, I am running marathon #2 in 26 days! Whoo Hoo. I watched the New York Marathon on TV this afternoon, which was very inspiring. I am definitely adding it to my bucket list of future marathons:) I knew 2 girls running it today and it was fun to track them as they ran. They both did great! Anyway, I am in the final few weeks leading to the race and on the downhill slide. I ran my second 20 mile run on Saturday. It was no fun! The weather was cool (46 degrees) but very humid and thick air (90%) which made it feel cold and clammy. It was the kind of weather that is hard to dress for. We started out around 5:30 am and pounded the pavement for the next 3:27 minutes. We took it nice and easy with an average pace of 10:23 for the run. With that being said, I am having a very hard time trying to determine what kind of finish time goal to set for this race. I know what I can do for 20 miles, but I really faded in Little Rock from miles 17 to 26, so I am not sure what kind of race pace I need to aim for. I want to be realistic, but push myself too! Right now I am thinking 4:15-4:25 is a good time to aim for, so we shall see. I plan to run 16 miles this weekend and then its really downhill from there!

Yesterday's run was one that made me ask myself...now why in the world did you sign up for this marathon?!! It really wasn't that bad, but I was ready for it to be over by mile 12!!! Thankfully it went by fast as usual since Liz and I talked the whole way. Thank goodness for good running partners who can distract you:) I don't think I drank nearly enough water either, which I need to do better at. Luckily I had remembered to drink lots of water the few days before, which helped keep me hydrated.

I think the best part of yesterday's run is how good I feel today! My feet have been killing me from all the pounding, but they feel really good today for some reason. My quads are a tiny bit sore, but barely noticeable. I definitely don't feel like I ran 20 miles! I am happy my body is tolerating the training well and recovering quickly. Life moves too fast these days for me to have to slow down any! I am pretty sure I have my race day outfit picked out (I just bought the shirt on Friday so I could test it out on my long run). I just bought a new pair of shoes too. I ran 3 miles in them on Wednesday last week and then broke them in good on the 20 miler:) I am working on my play list on my ipod too. I would like to say that I am trying to clean up my diet, but this Halloween candy in the house is killing me!!! It needs to GO AWAY! Silas and I both are working to cut back on the carbonated drinks so I haven't done too bad there. I have lost 10 pounds so far during this marathon training cycle. That is what I expected pretty much. Hopefully I don't gain too much back with the candy and cutting back on miles these next few weeks! I can't even begin to imagine the damage Thanksgiving is going to do to me, especially since my race is only a week after that! Any prayers for self control would be appreciated:)

I have love love loved this training cycle and hands down feel that fall marathon training beats spring training any day! We have had the best running weather and I am so thankful:) I feel much better about my training this time around and just hope to run a more consistent race and take 15 to 20 minutes off my time. I can do this!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home