/> SLO in Arkansas: Running Cold

Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Running Cold

I got some new running shoes this week and have been working on breaking them in. I think they are my magic shoes!! I trained at such a slow pace for the half marathon, and I have really kicked up my speed since November. I was running about a 10:30-10:45 minute mile pace during training for the half, and then averaged a 9:50 pace during the actual race. Since then I have really been working on my speed and upping the intensity during my shorter runs during the week. I just ran 4 miles tonight and averaged a 8:54 pace!! My first mile was 8:45. I am super pleased to have my training pace under 9 minutes. My run tonight took 3 and a half minutes off of my 4 mile race time from this summer! I can't wait to run it again this August and see what I can do! I guess doing longer distance has really helped my speed. Mostly it has just improved my fitness level so I can push harder for shorter distances. I ran 8 miles this weekend by myself and averaged 9 minute something miles the whole time.

I think there are two big differences going on right now. The first is the cold weather! I hate the cold! It was 24 degrees when we ran on Monday night this week. I may be running faster just to get done and get back inside to sit by the fire:) Secondly I have been running on my own a lot more the past few weeks. My training partner is not wanting to run a marathon for the spring and is cutting back a bit on the training, so that leaves me no choice but to head out alone most nights. At first I really didn't like it, but I am really enjoying the difference now. I put my music on and zone out to the beat. It really has helped me pace faster I believe. I ran 4 miles with Amy on Monday in 40:35. Tonight I ran it by myself in 35:36. That is 5 minutes faster for 4 miles!! I guess it takes a lot out of you to chat the whole time:) Anyway, I am still chugging along and am really pleased with where I am at right now. The next few weeks will definitely be a challenge trying to squeeze long runs in, seeing as Christmas and New Years both fall on Saturdays this year. I am just adjusting my schedule some and will figure out how to work some longer runs in and then hit the schedule hard at the first of the year. I still haven't registered for the marathon either!! I need to commit soon! The cold has been pretty tough on my asthma as well, but I just use my inhaler once in the beginning and I can breathe fine the rest of the time thank goodness. I have found that if it is over 50 degrees then I usually don't even need it:) I can't wait til spring!
Posted by Picasa

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home