/> SLO in Arkansas: Freezing 10

Tuesday, November 02, 2010

Freezing 10


So I ran 10 miles this past Saturday morning at 8 am. It was 30 degrees when I walked out the door to start! BRRRRRR!! I have been running most days or evenings in shorts or occasionally a long sleeve t-shirt, so I wasn't even sure how to dress for cold weather. I decided on my capri pants, long sleeve t-shirt, vest, and headband for my ears. The outfit worked out perfectly. I had to shed the vest at mile 6 I believe, but everything else worked great. I am thinking I will wear something similar this coming weekend for the race since the starting time temps should be close to 30 degrees again. Mercy that is a change, but I have to say, once you have warmed up for 15 or 20 minutes and it hits about 40 degrees, it feels just perfect:) I do need to buy some cheap gloves I can throw away this week to wear to keep my hands warm too. I also wore my spibelt for the first time and I loved it!! I carried my Gu packs and inhaler in it, and it was so comfortable I even forgot it was there:)

So I took this picture above after I finished running and had a shower:) That is to prove that 10 miles wasn't so bad after all! I drank some chocolate milk for recovery afterwards, stretched a little, and had a good lunch. I think we fueled just about right during the run too. I had a Gu before we started, and again at mile 4. I could tell by miles 8-10 that I needed another one, but hadn't packed any more. I plan to take them at miles 4 and 8 for the race, which should be great. We maintained a steady pace pretty close to 10:30 miles which is right on track for us. Can I just say that I felt AMAZING after I finished running! What a huge accomplishment for sure. I have never been the fastest person, but I have also never been a distance person either, so this is huge:)

So I am freaking out a little that my race is in 4 days!! That means we are tapering down this week to shorter runs, which seems weird. Last night we ran 4 miles and it seemed so fast. The awful part is that I stepped in a crack on the road and rolled my ankle. I finished the run just fine, but all day today my bad knee (on the same leg) has been throbbing, and I am really hoping it is unrelated. I think it is most likely due the the rain front we having moving through tonight, but it has me all worried that I have hurt something. I am praying to run easy tomorrow night and get some good rest before Saturday. I have been sleeping great and getting to bed early so far this week, so I am feeling good. I am really excited at this point and ready to run! I have been thinking about some goals for the race and I think they are pretty simple. 1) Cross the finish line (not in an ambulance!) and 2) Have fun. I have a time I would like to finish under but I know that first races are just for finishing, and I can worry about times for future half marathons!! I am hoping to enjoy this one enough to want to do some more!
Posted by Picasa

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home