/> SLO in Arkansas: Goals

Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Goals

We were asked yesterday at our MOPS group meeting what two of our goals were for this coming year. I used to be a faithful maker of New Year's resolutions most of my life, but have recently quit making them in the last few years. I realized I never kept them, so why bother. I got a little panicky as my turn was quickly approaching, but was able to come up with something at the last second. So now my mind has been processing what my real goals are for this year, and how to make them so that I actually might keep some of them.
I think where I keep failing is in making the typical resolutions, like losing weight, being a better person, etc. They are great goals, but very vague and therefore easy to ignore!! I have spent some time thinking about this year and all that it holds, and what I really would like to accomplish in several areas of my life. I am not going to post my list, but I just wanted to share an interesting insight that I reached while working through this process. I realized that most of my goals share a common denominator in making them work......self-control/discipline. Many of the things we would like to do to make ourselves better require this, yet few actually have a good grasp on it. So my overall goal for this year is to have more discipline in my life so that I may make actual progress towards what I would like to acheive. I need more discipline when it comes to prioritizing my time, so that I do the things that actually matter. I am also working on being more of a "Mary" than a "Martha," which is going to be very hard for me. I can always get the mundane tasks done, but taking the time for what really matters like cultivating relationships, giving to others, etc does not always take precedence in my schedule. Im sure some of you are smarter than me and have already figured this out, but it was a new thought to me this year and I just wanted to share it.

1 Comments:

Blogger Caroline Mosey said...

That's a good one. I'm trying to be more intentional. It's easy to let life "happen" and just react to what gets thrown at us during the day instead of intentionally seeking out God and ways we can glorify Him (other people are our biggest opportunities and it seems like I always miss them...) I don't have all the answers either, but you're a wise woman for knowing where to start! I love you

12:35 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home