/> SLO in Arkansas: Unappreciated Advice

Sunday, December 02, 2007

Unappreciated Advice

Ok, so here is my random story from this past week. This is the second time one of the checkers at Walgreens has said something rude to me this past year, so I may have to stop shopping there. I hate it when complete strangers feel the need to give you advice about your personal life, but it always seems to happen to me. I went to Walgreens this week to buy some pregnancy tests....no, I am not pregnant, but I have heard that it is a good idea to take one every month or so when you are breastfeeding, just in case you are pregnant and may not realize it yet! So anyway, I feel pretty awkward about buying them anyway and am trying to be as discreet as possible in the line. Well the girl at the checkout counter picks them up and scans them, but just leaves them up there instead of putting them in the bag. I also bought some chapstick so they weren't the only thing I was buying. Well the girl proceeds to launch into a big story about how hard this chapstick is to open and gives me a little tutorial on how to work this mega hard product I have apparently just purchased. The whole time I am just thinking, put the stuff in the bag and lets move on lady!! When she feels satisfied that I am well educated on my chapstick functions, she then picks up the pregnancy tests and holds them up and says...."are these for you?" I thought about lying for a second, but what was the point, so I was like "yeah." She then says, "well good luck, if you are trying....are you trying?" So at this point I'm thinking, I cant believe I am having a talk about this very personal topic with a complete stranger, but I answered her anyway and said...no, I am not trying. So instead of dropping the subject she says, well do you have any more kids? I assumed (wrongly) that she had seen Ty sitting in his car seat in my shopping cart beside me and figured she was asking if I had any others besides him. I said "no." Then I pulled the cart closer to me and this is when she apparently sees Ty for the first time and goes...."I thought you said you didn't have any children!" (like I had lied to her) And I say, well none besides him. Then she asks how old he is and I tell her, and then here comes my most favorite part of the whole story. She looks at me and says very seriously...." Well maybe you should just concentrate on raising him right now and not worry about having more." NO joke. So then I take my bag and leave the store with my mouth hanging open and at a complete loss on what to say to a stranger who feels the need to say things like that to me. It's not really that I disagree with what she said, its just that I do not feel she is entitled to have an opinion about my life, and more than that, it is my opinion that people checking you out at any store should probably not make comments about the personal items you are buying. Now that I think about it, I should have gone to the line behind me where the boy was busy checking out a lady buying 3 HUGE packages of Depends! I don't think he was in the chatting mood about what we were buying:)

3 Comments:

Blogger Caroline Mosey said...

When I was buying my pregnancy test the month we started "trying" the cashier at the grocery asked me the very same thing, and I said "yes" and she said good luck. It was nice I guess, but still felt a little weird in front of the 15 yr old boy bagging groceries, plus I didnt know her...I dont know why they feel the need to pry like that. Dont listen to her, Bar. Love you.

6:00 AM  
Blogger Robert Channing said...

I can't believe this happened to you. You do have bad luck when it comes to people making nosy comments to you!

6:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

With how it went, you should have asked to see the manager afterwards and related your experience.

Next time, do what Barney Fife always says - "Nip it, Nip it in the bud!". A simple "It's not really any your business" at the start of this experience would probably have been sufficient to end chatty cathy's personal inquest...

Cheers,
Tom A. Fowler

3:05 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home