/> SLO in Arkansas: Teaching Debut

Thursday, August 23, 2007

Teaching Debut

Well, I have officially taught my first college class this week! For those who don't know, I am an adjunct teacher at Harding this semester while I am taking maternity leave from my "day job." I am teaching a general education course...Sociology. I am hoping it will be pretty interesting and that my classes will participate in some good discussion. Me lecturing all semester will not be pretty if they don't talk much!! The first lesson was pretty boring as it was just a general overview of the class and expectations, as well as the historical background on sociology as a discipline. I am looking forward to getting to the more interesting topics in the next few weeks!! I am actually teaching 2 different classes, on Tue and Thur nights, that each meet once a week. I figured if I was going to prepare it all once, I might as well teach it twice! I will let you know how the rest of the semester goes. It is really different from doing therapy and just a little overwhelming since my classes have about 50 students in them each. It is definitely a learning experience. I cant believe I have a seating chart and a grade book!!! I also cant believe that I am teaching at the same school I graduated from not too long ago...it is weird to be in the front of the class instead of in the seats! I'm sure I will have some interesting stories along the way to share:) It is a little hard for me to leave Ty already, but thankfully it is only for a couple of hours in the evenings, and his wonderful daddy is watching him, so we don't have to have a babysitter. They get some good man time in I'm sure while I am gone:)

3 Comments:

Blogger Caroline Mosey said...

You didn't say anything about being nervous...I can't believe you can speak publicly and not break out in hives...I sure can't. Im proud of you, Bar! I want to hear about it over the weekend, I'll call. I love you!

12:35 PM  
Blogger Tom and Nancy said...

Congratulations! Isn't it great that you have this opportunity?
Nancy F.

5:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't think I realized you teach two different classes. How did Thursday go? See you on Wednesday.

9:45 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home