/> SLO in Arkansas: Race for the Cure 2006

Sunday, October 08, 2006

Race for the Cure 2006



Posted by Picasa

I walked in the Race for the Cure here in Little Rock this weekend. For those of you who have never participated in this event....it's awesome!! The race is a great way to support research for breast cancer, and a good way to show support for all the survivors and families of those who have lost loved ones to this disease.
I always walk or run in memory of my Aunt "Dink", Melinda Groom, who passed away in 2002 from breast cancer. Although I lost my aunt, it always brings a smile to my face to see the growing number of women walking in pink shirts...which means they are current survivors. Little Rock has always had a great turn out for this event, and continue to have record breaking numbers each year. This year there were over 42,000 participants!! It is so neat to be surrounded by thousands upon thousands of people who are out to show their support for this specific foundation. In Little Rock, only the women are allowed to walk in the 5K, though all of the men line the entire course cheering us on. They are dancing, singing, playing music, and being a huge support for all the women in their lives. It was an enjoyable day, as I got to walk with 4 of my friends. I encourage all of you to find out where the Race for the Cure is in your area, and sign up!! I am already looking forward to next years event!

1 Comments:

Blogger Our Family said...

I was a "Spirit Runner" this year and last year. But, I actually for real participated two years ago, and loved it. Maybe I'll really do it next year. I love it when you're walking across one bridge and can see all the other ladies on the other bridge!

6:26 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home