/> SLO in Arkansas: Shade Trees

Friday, September 22, 2006

Shade Trees

"The true meaning of life is to plant trees under whose shade you do not expect to sit"
~Nelson Henderson~


When I first heard this quote I found it a little amusing, but as I have thought about it for a few days, it has started to grow on me (excuse the pun!) Once I got past the literal meaning, I realized it is the basic concept of "pay it forward." This is a concept that our world needs more of, as we have become more self centered as a whole. I think we all need to be reminded that at times it's ok to do something that will have no direct effect on our own lives, but it will be more than beneficial for people down the road we have never even met. Once we are gone from this earth, what kind of legacy will we have left behind?

3 Comments:

Blogger Our Family said...

Not that this is a good comment for your great thoughts, but I bet I can guess where you got that quote! Because I just got it in the mail, along with a request for money from Harding!!

10:23 AM  
Blogger Lauren said...

Ha!!! You guessed it...good old Harding University hitting us up for money made me think of something to write in my blog!! It was a nice thought though:)

1:37 PM  
Blogger Our Family said...

Yeah, you're right. That quote really is a good one. I meant to go back and make another comment, but things got crazy and I forgot. It is important to always remember that choices we make will affect future generations. We have to be more thoughtful of the legacy we leave behind!

9:25 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home