/> SLO in Arkansas: 2011 Goals

Friday, January 14, 2011

2011 Goals

Sorry this will be boring without pictures! Anyway, just wanted to quickly get down some specific goals we are working towards this year in the Orbison house. Most of them are for me personally, and some are as a family.

1) Run a marathon- registered to run the Little Rock Marathon on March 6, 2011
2) Run a half-marathon
3) Run 1,000 miles
4) Complete a sprint triathlon
5) Set a PR in a 5k and half marathon

Non-running related goals:
6) Pay off Lauren's student loan (4 years early)

Ha! I guess most of my goals are related to running (of course!) Anyway, I am hoping to focus on my training this year and accomplish some fun things along the way. I know the running makes me a better mom, wife, therapist, etc as it really helps with my attitude, confidence, patience, and stress level. It is not just a hobby, it really gives me balance in my life and is a great outlet to my work stress.

Silas and I sat down and hammered out some details for getting some financial goals accomplished this year as well. I am very excited about the outcome of accomplishing these goals, but not thrilled at all about the journey to get there! We are trying to commit to a year of simplifying in lots of areas, but especially financially. Our plan is to really evaluate our spending and focus on needs rather than wants. By eliminating lots of random wants, we can instantly have extra money for paying off debt without changing our income any. Sounds simple, but I know it won't be easy. I am looking forward to having a very specific filter to examine our spending through, and have already found it to be very helpful in keeping me from buying random unnecessary things this month! So operation take out the student loan is under way. I am not having any fun at all!! I am hoping it will be similar to my running journey, and will hurt a lot in the beginning but will slowly become enjoyable and then something I really want to do along the way. Mostly I just want to see a big fat $0 at the end of the year when it comes time to pay that payment!

Speaking of simplifying, that is one of my words for this year. I want to simplify across the board as much as I can. I am working on de-cluttering our home, getting rid of un-useful things and keeping what's important. There is such freedom in simplifying things! I want to simplify our schedule (though my own schedule is the one that makes things most hectic it seems). My other words for this year are joy and contentment. I want to be full of joy despite my current circumstances. I want to express true joy and teach my boys how to be thankful, to teach them that joy is a choice, and not dependent on what is going on around us. And I want to learn to be more content with less. Stuff is overwhelming and just gets in the way of the important things. Stuff is distracting. I often think of a phrase my dad always said, which came from his father I believe. "I can be happy on a dollar or happy on a dime." I want that to be true in my life. I don't want to get bogged down in a phase of life that is more difficult. Just be happy with what I have no matter what. One day there won't be diapers to buy or babies at home to care for. And when this phase is over, I know without a doubt that I will miss it! So I am challenging myself this year to be joyful, to be content, and to simplify. And I know a lot of that will be accomplished through continuing my running journey. I am constantly changing and pushing myself to do things I never thought possible. Some days it hurts, some days it's scary, and some days it is just pure bliss:) Whatever may come my way this year, I hope I can look back and see some of these things at work in my life.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home