/> SLO in Arkansas: 2010 Recap

Monday, January 03, 2011

2010 Recap

What an amazing year! 2010 was so good for me in so many ways. It was a year of challenges, growth, struggles and victories. It started off with a huge decision to downsize everything in our lives and move into a smaller, older home. We sold our new house and moved our family of 4 into our current home. One year later and I still love everything about that decision!! It has relieved us of the financial stress we were under, given us a wonderful place to call home, and has met all of our needs better than we could have ever imagined due to location to church, friends, work, etc.
I took a break from counseling in February to focus on settling into the new house and taking care of my little boys. It was a much needed break for sure! It was during this month that I realized I had let a lot of things get out of control in my life, and I was feeling lost. I made the decision on Valentine's Day 2010 to reclaim my sense of self, to have more balance, discipline, etc in my life that I was desperately missing. I cringe just posting these "fat"pictures of myself on here, but I guess it has to be done. The top one is from Christmas 2009 and the second one is from a friend's baby shower in early Feb I believe. I weighed more than I ever had (not pregnant) and was pretty miserable with myself. I made the decision to start walking in late February/early March, and took my first steps running on April 14, 2010.
Six and a half months later and 25 pounds lighter I crossed the finish line of my first half marathon! AMAZING! I wish I could say it was an easy journey to get there, but it was tough. Every step, mile, hour took so much effort. It was worth it! I ran my first race in August, a 4 miler in the heat. After a few more 5k races in the early fall I knew I could push myself to accomplish something bigger, and set my sights on the 13.1 miles. Running has changed my life this year. I have reclaimed my sense of self by remembering who I am and what I am good at. Running makes me a better person, mom, wife, etc. Running challenges me to do things I never thought possible. I no longer run to lose weight or have to force myself to go. Running is just part of my lifestyle now and something I do. I started back to work in July 2010 and have been busy juggling my 3 part-time jobs ever since. I work two afternoons a week counseling at church, and two afternoons a week counseling for an agency in town. I continue to complete adoption home studies on the side as well. Oh yeah, and I am a stay-at-home mom as my first and favorite job!
This is not the best picture in the world but my most recent one. I finished 2010 35 pounds less than I started it, and I feel amazing. I have dropped at least 4 sizes. I have so much more energy and confidence now. It affects everything I do:) I could not have done this journey without the constant support of Silas and never-ending encouragement of my boys. They make me want to be a better person, and encourage me every step of the way. I am so grateful to God for blessing me athletically and giving me this gift of running, and of a supportive family. It has been a tough journey to say the least. Lots of sacrifices have to be made to reach your goals. Priorities have to change. I have been challenged in so many other areas of my life as well this year. I hope that I am learning the needed lessons as they come and can use my successes to face head on whatever else may come my way. I have loved this year of growth, of struggle, of accomplishment. I am ready to face the new year and have some pretty big plans to tackle other areas in my life that need the same overhaul my body did. Thank goodness I feel good and have the energy for all this! I will post my goals for 2011 coming up. Some seem daunting for sure, but I know that with God, all things are possible! This year I am going to focus on praising God from whom all blessings flow. I pray that every one of you be blessed in whatever endeavors you undertake, and that you enjoy your journey along the way:)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home